San Jose Stage Announces Top Honor Awards to Local High School Students
Two Top Honor Award Winners Got to New York for the 2010 National High School Musical Theatre Awards
San Jose, CA — June 8, 2010 – San Jose Stage Company and Broadway San Jose are pleased to announce the winners of the National High School Musical Theatre Awards. Two bay area students, Matt Hill and Katherine Dela Cruz, were also chosen for Outstanding Performance by an Actor and Actress in a musical to participate in the National High School Musical Theatre Awards 2010 JIMMY Awards and compete for a four-year academic scholarship to New York University.
Local high school students learned on Monday, June 7 at the California Theatre in downtown San Jose, at a gala ceremony worthy of red carpet pomp and circumstance, that they were winners in various categories in the Top Honor Awards. From Best Actress and Actor, Costume or Hair and Make Up Design, to Lighting and Scenery, and Orchestra and Chorus, the winners and their fan clubs celebrated.
“It is so exciting to witness the growth and accomplishments of the students, designers and directors in the Top Honors program,” said Spencer Williams, Director of Education for the San Jose Stage Company. “The musical theatre talent in the Bay Area is astounding and it was fantastic to have all of that talent be recognized for one night in the California Theatre. I can’t wait to see what the schools produce next year!”
And the winners are:
• Nate Marshall and Judy Fuller – Singing in the Rain – Valley Christian High School
• Sundee Medeiros – Aida – Irvington High School
• Tammy Davies and Amanda Craine – Into the Woods – Westmont High School
• Natti Pierce-Thomson – Les Miserables – The Harker School
• Fred Alim – Aida – Irvington High School
• Doug Santana – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels – Archbishop Mitty High School
• Robyn Tribuzi – 42nd Street – San Mateo High School
• Mason Kimont – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels – Archbishop Mitty High School
• Dave Gregoric – Singing in the Rain – Valley Christian High School
• 42nd Street – San Mateo High School
BEST FEATURED PERFORMER:
• John Ammatuna (Enjolras) – Les Miserables – The Harker School
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
• Sarah Bernosky (Muriel Eubanks) – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels – Archbishop Mitty High School
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
• James Seifert (Marius) – Les Miserables – The Harker School
BEST LEADING ACTOR:
• Matt Hill (Freddy Benson) – Dirty Rotten Scoundrels – Archbishop Mitty High School
BEST LEADING ACTRESS:
• Katherine Dela Cruz (Aida) – Aida – Irvington High School
BEST OVERALL PRODUCTION:
• Dirty Rotten Scoundrels – Archbishop Mitty High School
The Top Honor Awards recognize excellence in High School Musical Theater in the Bay Area. The program is spearheaded by San Jose Stage Company’s Director of Education, Spencer Williams, who is also a musical theatre educator at Pinewood School in Los Altos Hills and served as an adjudicator for the Papermill Playhouse’s “Rising Star” program in New Jersey, which the Top Honor Awards are specifically modeled after.
Broadway San Jose is among nineteen other professional theater programs participating in NHS Musical Theatre Awards. The winners will be awarded scholarships to NYU’s Tisch School for the Arts upon acceptance. The 2nd Annual NHS Musical Theatre Awards will take place at the Marquis Theatre in New York this June.
Successfully launched last year, the NHS Musical Theatre Awards is a national celebration of outstanding student achievement in high school musical theater.
Nicknamed “The Jimmy Awards” after James Nederlander, Sr., this program recognizes individual artistry in vocal, dance, and acting performance, and also honors teachers and their schools’ commitment to excellence in performing arts education.