Here are The Broadway Critic’s picks for Bay Area Theatre this weekend:
1. Peter Pan at Ferry Building (San Francisco) – While this hasn’t officially opened, (so therefore, I haven’t seen it) word on the street is that Peter Pan is a totally new and exciting theatrical experience – one that you won’t want to miss out on. I’m off to see this on May 9th. I’ve also heard that they should have made it into a musical. And all this time, I actually thought it was the musical. Make sure you get your tickets soon.
2. RENT at Palo Alto Players – Here’s another show that I haven’t seen, but recommend this weekend. RENT holds a special place in my heart, as it was the first Broadway musical that I couldn’t stop listening to. I’m intrigued to see this production. I’ve never seen anything at Palo Alto Players and I haven’t seen RENT for almost 3 years now (last time being on Broadway with Anthony Rapp and Tamyra Gray). I’m off to see this tonight! There’ll be a review up early next week. It closes May 9th.
3. Urinetown at Sunnyvale Community Players – Urinetown, the hilarious Tony Award winning musical, is closing out Sunnyvale Community Players’ 40th Season. I’d say, it’s a damn great choice. I love this show more than anything and I’ve been hearing that this production is pretty hysterical and well-worth your time. Again, another show that I haven’t seen but I’m interested in checking it out before it closes on May 9th. Plus, it has a few dear friends in it! Check out some reviews on Artsopolis.com.
On My Radar:
- Gypsy at Hillbarn Theatre – Gypsy opens on May 7th and runs through May 30th. It will prove to be an amazing production featuring actors Annmarie Martin, Milly Boyse, Dan Kapler, Patti Appel, Cheryl Ringman, and more… More info
- Little Shop of Horrors at Busbarn Theatre – I hear they have the most amazing Audrey! (Apparently, she had a major callback with the folks down at GLEE and sang with Lea Michele for three days.) Yes, that’s how good she is. I will definitely not be missing this one. Opens on May 20th. More info
Until next week…